Local SNP MP Richard Thomson is highlighting Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week which takes place next week to raise awareness of gas safety.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that has no taste, colour or smell. A carbon monoxide leak can make an individual feel seriously ill and it can kill quickly without warning.
A carbon monoxide leak can come from many home appliances such as oil and gas boilers, gas fireplaces, gas cookers and other appliance
Commenting, Richard Thomson MP said:
“As it gets colder and more people are beginning to use their heating and boilers to heat their homes, there is a greater risk of carbon monoxide leaks. Installing a carbon monoxide detector will help detect a carbon monoxide leak and keep your family safe this winter.
“Carbon monoxide can be produced when poorly maintained, incorrectly fitted or badly repaired appliances do not burn gas completely. Look out for the following signs that could indicate that a gas appliance is not working correctly, and CO may be present in the house:
• Floppy yellow or orange flame on your gas hob, rather than a crisp blue flame
• Dark, sooty staining on or around gas appliances
• Pilot lights that frequently blow out
• Increased condensation inside window
• Stay safe with top tips from Scottish Gas this #CarbonMonoxideAwarenessWeek
➡️ Have a qualified, Gas Safe engineer service your gas appliances annually
➡️ Check the pilot light’s on, that there’s no yellow/orange flames or black marks & there’s no condensation nearby
➡️ Know the signs of CO poisoning
➡️ Fit a CO alarm”